It seems like a thankless and somewhat impossible task, but it can be done. Learning how to cook healthy and delicious meals for the entire family seems so out of reach. The truth is though that if you plan ahead and know how to make this work, you can have great meals for the entire week. This does involve preparation and it may mean that one day a week you get everything ready for the meals you will enjoy. Healthy meals are easy to provide if you think through your needs and stick with a plan.
The problem is that we are often in a rush at meal time. We’re trying to throw something together to make the kids happy that is also appealing to us. We tend to turn to foods out of convenience, rather than out of good proper nutrition. Not only that but if you don’t have the healthy ingredients that you need before you, then it’s much easier to turn to some processed meal to try to get your needs met. It doesn’t have to be that way, and if you think through your needs and plan for your meals you can enjoy something healthy and delicious each and every day.
The trick is to focus on healthy ingredients that you all like. You want to make trying new foods fun and get everyone involved. Planning out healthy meals can really help your kids to get into good eating habits, but also ensure that proper nutrition is a part of your family eating plan always.
- Search for healthy recipes in advance so that you have something to plan for: You need a good starting point and this is a great one. Find some of your favorite websites or cook books that feature healthy recipes. Then search out new ones each week that you can try out. Get a few that you love into rotation and you are set up for a successful week of healthy eating. You can try new foods but have favorites to fall back on. The ideal recipes are those that are healthy but also easy to prepare too.
- Carefully construct a list of what you need and stick to it: Never go to the store hungry for that will work against you. Take the time to create a list of everything that you need for the week. Think through your recipes, the meals you will prepare, and the snacks that you all need for the entire week. Then put together a very detailed list that will serve as your guideline to staying healthy throughout the grocery store. This will help you tremendously.
- Prepare anything that you can in advance so that it’s easy to eat well: If it’s a matter of chopping up fruits and veggies that you will need for the week, then do that on a Sunday. Hard boiling eggs that can be used for easy breakfast options is a wonderful thing to do to. Put in any preparation that will make meal time easy and ensure that you have healthy things to reach for. This takes the guesswork out of the equation, saves you time, and ensures that you eat the healthy meals and snacks that are right there waiting for you.
- Plan out healthy meals and snacks for everyone to get through the week: Literally put together a calendar of healthy meals that you can enjoy throughout the week. Think through snacks that you will need, and do the same for your kids and your spouse. This will help you to stay on track, ensure that you have everything you need in the house, and make your choices healthy ones. If you don’t have to think about what you will take with you or what meal time will bring, then you are always going to opt for the healthy choice.
- Get the kids involved and show them how fun eating well can really be: Let the kids help you with the preparation of the food and even the cooking. Let the kids help pick healthy recipes and even shop for ingredients. Turn on some music and make meal preparation time a fun one. Teach your kids about healthy foods and why this is so important. Let them pick a new healthy food to try each week, and you will create wonderful habits to help them with proper nutrition throughout their entire life.
Picniic is the family assistant that helps families become more organized, productive, and connected than ever before. Featured as the best family organizer by: CBS, Forbes, USA Today, Time Magazine, Product Hunt, and The Boston Globe. Picniic simplifies family life so you can spend more time doing what you love, and less time organizing it. All family members (mom, dad, kids, caregivers, etc.) can easily access Picniic via iPhone, iPad, and web to keep everyone organized and on the same page, with features such as: family locator, shared family calendar, shopping lists, grocery lists, recipe tips, meal planners, information lockers, and more. The friendly Picniic user interface is easy to navigate and fun to use for every kind of family. Sign up today! http://picniic.com/