The holidays are upon us and that means there is so much to look forward to. This is a time to enjoy with the family and reflect upon what you have. For many of us though the holidays can also be a stressful time. There’s a lot to get done, often too much money spent, and the negatives can overshadow the positive elements of what this season is all about. If you stay organized and keep to your list and budget, you can enjoy the holiday season and get back to what it’s all about. A little organization can really go a long way here.
The holidays should be about spending time with family, but we get caught up in the hustle bustle of everything that has to be done. The reality is that you can make it simpler by limiting the number of gifts you buy. Not only that but you can get the whole family involved in helping out and break the tasks down early. This should be a festive and joyful time of year, and with a shift in mindset you can get there. You can also allow yourself to enjoy the traditions of the holiday with your family if you learn to let some things go. It’s actually easier than you might think.
If you want to make this a happy and successful holiday season then change the way that you do things. If something isn’t working for you then identify it and then change it up. If you are mindful of these problem areas going in, then you can get back to what it’s all about in the future. Here are some things to help you along the way.
- Make a list and create a budget well in advance: When you know that the holidays are coming soon then make a list of everything you’ll need. At the same time create a budget and ensure that you put as much detail into it as possible. If you can think through all of your needs and create a budget that you adhere to, this will take a lot of the stress out of it. Try to cut down wherever possible and let these tools guide you well in advance of the madness of the season.
- Shop a little at a time and stock up if you see something on sale: This is another measure that goes a long way and saves you from running around at the end. Know what you have to shop for and look for sales. If you can stock up on things like teacher gifts, that’s a great item to have on hand and save you from frantically running out. If you know that you need things before the normal rush then buy them on sale and put them aside. You save time and money which is great!
- Break down the tasks and get things done early whenever possible: You know that you’re going to likely do some cooking, perhaps some baking, entertaining or hosting, gift buying, holiday cards, and the list can go on and on. Think these tasks through and then take them on a little at a time. The things that you can get done in advance, even if it’s preparation, can save you from being overwhelmed at the end. You may actually get to enjoy these tasks if you break it down in this way too!
- Wrap as you go and shift the focus from just the material things: Even if you only have a few gifts to wrap, get them done as you move along. If you save it all until the end then it will only become bigger than life. This is such a little task and therefore if you do it as you purchase the items, then you don’t have to be left with too much to do at once. An added bonus is if you get the items that you need in advance too like wrapping paper, tape, and gift bags.
- Get the whole family involved and make some of the tasks enjoyable: The more that you can do as a family the better. Plan family fun events like going to see lights at a popular local spot. Put up the decorations together or try baking cookies as a family. You are getting something done but you are spending quality time together, and that’s always a winning combination
Picniic is the family assistant that helps families become more organized, productive, and connected than ever before. Featured as the best family organizer by: CBS, Forbes, USA Today, Time Magazine, Product Hunt, and The Boston Globe. Picniic simplifies family life so you can spend more time doing what you love, and less time organizing it. All family members (mom, dad, kids, caregivers, etc.) can easily access Picniic via iPhone, iPad, and web to keep everyone organized and on the same page, with features such as: family locator, shared family calendar, shopping lists, grocery lists, recipe tips, meal planners, information lockers, and more. The friendly Picniic user interface is easy to navigate and fun to use for every kind of family. Sign up today! http://picniic.com/