Did you guys enjoy the delicious watermelon sugar cookies from last week? Well Picniic is back with another recipe. Bring on the summer fun! This week we have another fantastic food collaboration brought to us by Susie Geib!
To understand a little bit more about Susie, she is a advocate for finding ways to sustain a healthy life style through working out and eating right. Her blog and social media channels are full of ideas and recipes for all sorts of foods! When she is not exercising or cooking, Susie is busy spending time with her family! Check out her blog or her Instagram to see more of her amazing and healthy creations!
Now let’s hear from the chef herself!
“Summer is here! Kids are out of school and it’s time to head to the pools. For me, someone who lives in the Northeastern part of the country, summer means more variety of fresh and bright vegetables. That is what inspired this yummy dish. I do my best to keep recipes super simple and super delicious. For whatever reason, dinner time is the witching hour for my kids. I thought it would end after their toddler years but alas, my six year old and my four year old still manage to go into full meltdowns just as I start to cook dinner.
Do you have picky eaters? I’ve got one. He will barely try a new cookie let alone new veggies. So after I cook and drain the pasta, I will scoop out some and put it in a bowl with butter. And that means no fighting. Some nights I just don’t have it in me. You’ve got to pick your battles, right?!! With this recipe you can prep and get this meal on the table in 30 minutes! A few minutes of prep and 15 minutes of cooking and you are good to go!
There are options with this meal which I love. If a family member has a sensitive stomach, remove the red pepper flakes. Or if someone is vegetarian – don’t garnish with cut up pieces of prosciutto. I hope you like it! Enjoy!”
Gemelli Pasta with Vegetables and Prosciutto
• 2 cups gemelli pasta
• 1 bunch asparagus; trimmed and cut into thirds
• 4 small peppers; chopped
• 8-10 grape tomatoes; quartered
• 3 large garlic cloves; smashed
• 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
• 2 slices prosciutto; chopped (optional)
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan
• handful of bail for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water
- Cut up the asparagus, peppers, garlic, prosciutto, tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat then add garlic. Cook a few minutes or until oil becomes fragrant then fork out and throw away the garlic.
- Add asparagus and peppers to pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add pasta to the pan and toss to coat. Add the parmesan. If the pasta becomes dry add the pasta water. Stir and plate. Top pasta with prosciutto, basil and more parmesan. Enjoy!
Picniic is the family assistant that helps families become more organized, productive, and connected than ever before. Featured as the best family organizer by: CBS, Forbes, USA Today, Time Magazine, Product Hunt, and The Boston Globe. Picniic simplifies family life so you can spend more time doing what you love, and less time organizing it. All family members (mom, dad, kids, caregivers, etc.) can easily access Picniic via iPhone, iPad, and web to keep everyone organized and on the same page, with features such as: family locator, shared family calendar, shopping lists, grocery lists, recipe tips, meal planners, information lockers, and more. The friendly Picniic user interface is easy to navigate and fun to use for every kind of family. Sign up today! http://picniic.com/